I am proud to be a published author. Behold, my article in the PNLA Quarterly entitled “The Seattle Public Library Century 21 Collection: Balancing Metadata Complexity, Processing Expediency, and User Experience.”
In case this article looks too intimidating and boring for you, here are the finer points related to creating a metadata element set that is customized to your particular project.
- Know your metadata schemes – having an idea of what is available, gives you an idea on elements you can choose from
- Know your audience – how will users search for images? Is the photographer important or the location?
- Know the limitations of your collection management system – does CONTENTdm work better with Dublin Core?
- Know your resources – can I really assign 24 elements/values per image with a staff of one?
- Know what to automate – should I use the same description for all assets in the same collection?
I hope that whatever you are contemplating for your digital collection turns out as amazing as this Century 21 project.