Another vintage postcard from the New York Public Library digital collections. Hope you are merry and bright! Mod Librarian will be back in 2014 with more great information.
Here are five things for your consideration:
- Need a super simple DAM system for video? Check out Axle.
- The British Library has posted some fetching public domain work on Flickr. Lovely collection!
- Want to learn more about ProQuest librarian Tracey Griffith? She works on AquaBrowser and gives some valuable information for aspiring library professionals.
- Ever think about using Wikipedia strategically to link to digital collections? Well, read this article on the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Finally, a digital archive of historic Ford ephemera. Check out this post about the digitization project.
Here are more than five things for your seasonal enjoyment:
- What the hell is big data anyway? This provides a broad view, but underscores the game changing power of that data.
- Does a library’s discovery service increase ROI? Well, Summon does. Check out this blog post on recent research on journal usage and the Summon service by Gillian Harrison Cain.
- I am a digital asset manager currently. Here’s a good post on DAM opportunities for librarians. Opportunities are out there!
- What to buy for your favorite librarian this holiday season? Hack Lib School offers this guide. My favorite – the library card iPhone case.
- Another fabulous post by Heather Hedden on Taxonomy Governance. Long term planning in the development of any taxonomy goes hand in hand with governance.
I’ve been doing a lot of research on web-scale discovery services lately. This article published on Information Today yesterday by Athena Hopper is extremely comprehensive.
The division between the central index and the discovery layer is explained, major players in the WSD market are contrasted, and the article wraps up with a useful list of considerations, as well as examples of library implementations by product.
Here are five things:
- Interesting Slideshare on DAM for Museums by Andrew Lewis from the Victoria and Albert Museum.
- From the OCLC Research blog, Hanging Together, two exceptional posts – one on Harvesting Book Metadata and the other on Metadata for Digital Objects.
- Check out this panel of digital asset management rockstars – video of DAM conference Createasphere.
- I love videos or television shows on digital preservation. Here is a great short piece on behind the scenes work on the Iraqi Jewish Archive.
- From UCL Library Services, a seasonal Advent calendar of the digital persuasion. I miss the paper ones…