This time around, I have ten questions for the Information community related to some projects I am involved in:
- What is the biggest difference between creating a thesaurus with ANSI/NISO or with ISO?
- Can you convert a thesaurus created using and ANSI/NISO inspired governance document to comply with ISO standards?
- What is the best resource for the foundation of a vocabulary that deals with all things and subjects? Is it LCSH?
- Has anyone mined DBPedia terms and scope notes for their ontology? How? Why?
- How do you avoid near duplication in longer text-based metadata (like Dublin Core descriptions, for instance)?
- How do you account for stemming and misspellings if the system you are using will not? Are these all NPT’s (non preferred terms).
- For all of the above, are there any tips for automating processes or is this all very manual?
- Once a thesaurus structure is in place, at what point should it be integrated with the CMS to enhance search and tagging?
- What is the best way to “show” users relationships between concepts and content?
- Should all users have the ability to create metadata or just to apply metadata?
Thanks for reading this. This is an interactive post and I would welcome any and all comments, advice or examples. Please comment right on the post and I will moderate, curate and share!